3.19.2011

Vegan Chocolate Chip Scones

This week John and I hosted what has become a traveling supper club. A couple of friends of ours have each taken a turn hosting it at their houses, and this week was our turn. We decided to do brunch-for-dinner and we used recipes from Vegan Brunch - aka, my new favorite cookbook.

I decided to make chocolate chip scones. Since it was the day before St. Patrick's Day, one of our dinner friends requested something green, so I added a little food coloring.
















It's a little tricky to add food coloring to what is essentially a biscuit recipe, since it's important not to over mix them. It would have made more sense to add the coloring to the liquid ingredients separately. They turned out kind of marbled.





The pilsner glasses are for the mimosas that Emilie brought.










Here's my plate:
  • Scones at 1 o'clock
  • Roasted sweet potatoes and parsnips with ginger and maple syrup (yum!), along the bottom, courtesy of Matthew.
  • Tofu scramble with red bell pepper, made by John.




















It was a delicious combination of sweet and savory brunch foods. The scones turned out really well. I get nervous about vegan baking sometimes, but this recipe was very easy to do. Fun fact I learned in the process: you can curdle almond milk the same way you'd curdle cow's milk (by adding some vinegar). I'll definitely make these again; there are a lot of possible variations.

This berry scone recipe on the Post Punk Kitchen looks very similar to the one I used, only with berries instead of chocolate: click here!

The weather was amazing here this week, and it looks like we're going to stay above freezing for the next week or so. That means some spring recipes are on their way to our kitchen. Let asparagus season begin!
Do you have a favorite recipe for spring weather? If so, send it my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment