4.02.2011

April, come she will

After last week's sad, return-to-winter post, I'm happy to say that the first day of April brought warmer temperatures and lots of sunshine. This week we've been cooking with a lot of veggies, and I decided to just highlight a few of the things that went well.


First, Broccoli and Cheese Soup, via Cook Pray Love.

















This soup is creamy, but the emphasis is on the broccoli, so you don't feel like you've just eaten a bowl of cheese dip (not that that would be bad...necessarily). We both really liked it and will probably make it again, especially since broccoli is basically John's favorite food.


Spinach and Chickpea Curry from Vegan with a Vengeance.
















This was the first recipe that we made from VWAV and it was pretty flavorful, but I wasn't thrilled with it. We chose it partially because it said it would make 6-8 servings, when it really makes more like 3-4. I now that's all relative, but it's in the entree section of the book and I feel like it maybe should have made more. Or maybe John and I are just used to bigger serving sizes?
Either way, it's pretty healthy and definitely tastes good. I'm still looking forward to trying more recipes from that book.


We had some left over tomatoes from that recipe and decided to make a big batch of vegetable marinara sauce on Friday. It wasn't the most incredible sauce I've ever had, but it was full of zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, and these cute little baby eggplants!




















Of course, once I chopped them up, they look just like any other eggplant. But they're really cute and they were cheaper than just buying one big guy.

















Last Sunday we both felt like having dessert, but I didn't want to bake a big batch of something and leave it in our house for a couple of days, since I would just eat it all. Then I came upon this recipe on Brie Fit (one of my favorite running-related blogs!) for a single-serve (vegan!) brownie and knew it would be just what we were looking for.















I used 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white, AP flour. We added just a few chocolate chunks each, and I think these are fairly customizable; I contemplated adding peanut butter chips, and I think you could also add sprinkles. Or, you could just put some chocolate chips right on top when you first take them out of the oven. They would melt and act kind of like a frosting. Even if you just eat these plain, they are delicious. Definitely an A+ recipe, and you can make as few as you like.

Lastly, John and I have been eating salads for dinner on Tuesday nights. We both have minimalism class until 5:15 or so, and when we get home we don't really want to cook anything. It's a good night for leftovers, but it's also good for salad, since it's kind of light and fresh tasting, after a whole day spent inside the music school.
















So we've been experimenting with different salads. If avocados are on on sale, they definitely make it into the salad. We normally also have mushrooms, pecans or walnuts (sometimes toasted or candied), or some other vegetable, and dijon/balsamic dressing. This week we decided to try something I saw on TheKitchn.com about adding pan-seared edamame to salad. It added a lot of flavor and protein. We like to buy big bags of frozen edamame and throw the into foods whenever we feel like it, so they're great to have on hand for salad.
Since it was sort of a mix of spinach, edamame, mushrooms, and cucumber, I decided to try making an Asian-style sesame dressing and I used this recipe as a guide. We threw in a few sesame seeds, since they're so pretty.






So happy that it's Salad Night.










I recently found this blog, Salad Pride, where they post a new salad recipe almost every day. I think John and I will start trying out some of their recipes when the temperatures rise this summer.

In case you haven't seen it, here's a link for pictures of Women Laughing Alone with Salad. Apparently it's something we women are wont to do.

We hope you get to enjoy some spring weather this weekend!

Do you have a favorite salad recipe? If so, please send it my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment