Sure, we can make hummus, crunchy peanut butter, and regular pesto. But now that we've been payed to go to school again, we can afford the big jar of sun-dried tomatoes from Costco! The skies the limit!
We made the pesto according to this recipe, and put it on pasta, along with a quartered and sliced zucchini, and some sauteed mushrooms.
I'm really into this shape of pasta right now. Sort of like a spiral macaroni, but it's thicker when cooked. It's perfect for rich sauces.
It made for an outstanding dinner. I also put about 1.5 tbs of the pesto on some quinoa for a good school lunch the next day. Quinoa is making its way toward becoming a very regular part of my diet. Since I'm basically giving up meat, a little at a time, and I'm adding a lot of mileage to my runs, I started to wonder if I'm getting enough protein. But then I learned that quinoa is a complete protein - not unlike a meat. So I'm making an effort to eat some kind of quinoa dish for lunch a couple of days a week. It definitely helps that the girls in the office next to mine have a microwave, since some of those recipes are much better warmed up.
This pasta dish was delicious, and would be perfect as a simple recipe to serve to guests. With Li'l Choppy's help, it comes together easily and makes a large amount of food.
Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted whole almonds*
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- 1 generous packed cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup olive oil
- Drain your sun dried tomatoes, lightly rinse them, and then pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Toast your almonds in a dry shallow pan. They will take about 10 minutes, and you will smell when they are done.
- In a large food processor, combine the basil, toasted almonds, garlic, lemon zest, and salt. Process until coarsely chopped.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes and parmesan cheese and process until the tomatoes are coarsely chopped.
- Now stream in the olive oil slowly and process until the pesto comes together.
- Serve immediately or store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 6 weeks.