9.26.2009

Strawberry Muffins

Behold, the latest addition to Waterloo Street:















PUNCHO 3000!!!!!!















Actually it's just a 3-hole punch from Staples, but what with its fancy arm and all, I like PUNCH 3000!!!!! better. And no, I don't normally keep it above my fridge, but the light was better in there.

We have so many articles to print and haul around all the time that I've started over-flow binders at home. After weeks of missing Sarah's hole puncher I decided to invest in my own. It's my favorite new toy.

Another fun, random fact: I saw this frightening magazine cover at Shoppers Drug Mart.






















She had kind of a nuclear green hue when you view it in person.

Unrelated to both PUNCHO and Shoppers Drug Mart, I made strawberry muffins on Saturday.















Mixing the berries into the flour was my favorite part. Something about the texture is so satisfying.






















I'll be frank: these were a little bland. After studying the recipe again I wished I'd payed attention to the comments - other people added brown sugar, vanilla, or cinnamon. I wish I'd done the same.














But they're good with tea. Bland muffins are better than none at all, and they confirmed my new theory that muffins are almost as good as cupcakes and more practical for my busy schedule this semester. I'm now on the hunt for the best muffin recipes there are. Any suggestions?

Strawberry Muffins
Source: All Recipes
Ingredients:*
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped strawberries.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oil an 8 cup muffin tin, or use paper liners.

In a small bowl, combine oil, milk, and egg. Beat lightly. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Toss in chopped strawberries and stir to coat with flour. Pour in milk mixture and stir together.

Fill muffin cups. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 minutes,** or until the tops bounce back from the touch. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans.

*This originally yields 8 muffins, so the measurements here are doubled to yield 16. If you only want 8, just halve them.

**I actually made 24 medium-small muffins. 25 minutes was too long for that quantity. I'd try 20 minutes instead.

5 comments:

  1. I like all the muffins on my blog (duh). There are also some ham and corn muffins (savory) in this month's Cooking Light. I think I might make some for Joe's breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ham and corn are two of my favorite things, Lord knows. I made a fun egg-cup thing I saw on someone's blog that I need to post here, but this PhD sure is a lot of work.

    I almost made the peach muffins on your blog a few weeks ago but I didn't have rolled oats and I changed my mind at the last second. I think this was the last strawberry-themed food of the year for me since it's official Not Warm here any more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've a banana/zuchinni bread/muffins listed under recipes on my blog. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've a banana/zuchinni bread/muffin recipe listed under recipes on my blog. Mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I LOVE zucchini and banana bread. I need to buy bread pans so that I can make Kira's pumpkin bread again. It's my new favorite fall thing.

    ReplyDelete