11.22.2009

Broccoli Stir Fry

Since John doesn't get back from Mexico until tomorrow, I wanted to make something for dinner that would be good for a couple of days and not involve a huge number of dishes.














And so I made this broccoli stir fry recipe from Kira's blog. As she points out, this is full of nutrients and vitamins. It was pretty good!

My one issue was that I don't have a large enough pan to cook all the ingredients and cover it with a lid (my biggest pan is missing its lid, it was inherited from an old TA who was moving out of Bloomington). Instead, I experimented with covering it with a cookie sheet and a cake pan, which worked better for steaming the veggies than you might expect. The issue was that the broccoli took longer to cook this way, and the peppers was a little flimsier than they should have been.

Still, the sauce was good and I think I'd make it again.













Ingredients

1 1/3cups uncooked regular long-grain white rice
2 2/3cups water


1/4cup water
2tablespoons soy sauce
1tablespoon hoisin sauce
2teaspoons cornstarch
1teaspoon honey

1(6-oz.) pkg. portobello mushroom caps**
1medium onion, cut into thin wedges
1small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1garlic clove, minced
3cups fresh broccoli florets (about 6 oz.)
1/4cup water

Preparation
1. Cook rice in 2 2/3 cups water as directed on package. Cover to keep warm.
2.Meanwhile, in small nonmetal bowl, combine all sauce ingredients; blend well. Set aside.
3.With small metal spoon, scrape underside of mushroom caps to remove dark gills and stems. Cut mushroom caps into 3/4-inch pieces.
4.Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook and stir 3 minutes.
5.Add broccoli and 1/4 cup water; cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add sauce; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbly and thickened. Serve over rice.*

(Sorry the numbers are a little screwed up, but I trust that if you actually want to make this, you can read it well enough. I did).

*I think this would also work well with Asian noodles of some kind, but I'm not sure which.

**I used crimini because they were cheap and I needed a bunch of them for the second version of the quiche that I made last week. The flavor wasn't exactly the same, but it was still good!

No comments:

Post a Comment