11.30.2009

Homemade Hot Chocolate

On Monday night Christmas Vacation was on TV. It's been years since I've seen it, and it turns out, I still know all the lines by heart.



*















"Where you gonna put a tree that big, Griswold?"

"Bend over and I'll show you!"






















John and I had kind of a Rockwell evening. We wrapped Christmas presents and drank hot chocolate while we watched the movie.
























This is a slightly altered version of Ina Garten's hot chocolate recipe.
I didn't use as much cream, I only used 4 oz of chocolate (instead of 8, which would have been so many!), and I definitely didn't use a whole vanilla bean for a garnish (I'm not an independently wealthy woman from the Hamptons with fabulous florist friends to hang out with while my husband works all day in the city). Even using skim milk like I did, this was extremely rich and creamy hot chocolate.
John's reaction: "I wish it were a little sweeter. I'm going to get a refill."

Next time I'd maybe add a little more sugar, or use less bittersweet chocolate, but I'm sure I'll make it again.

Here's the recipe as I made it. This makes 8 posts of holiday baking!

Creamy Hot Chocolate

3 cups skim milk
1 cup cream or half-and-half
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash of nutmeg
dash of cinnamon**

Bring the milk and cream to a simmer in a sauce pan, then remove from heat.
Immediately add in the chocolate and stir until it melts.
Stir in sugar, vanilla, and spices.
Serve in mugs with whipped cream, cinnamon sticks, or garnish of your choice.





*Remember how I said we're experimenting with the manual settings on the camera? All of these pictures look a little like they were taken as if the July sun was beating down on my kitchen...But we're getting better.

**You could also add nutmeg, or leave the spices out.

4 comments:

  1. Argh! Why is the font so small? I can't seem to make it bigger. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum! that looks great! I'm going to have to do that.

    www.glammed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so good, I could just spit.

    ReplyDelete