11.28.2009

Steak with Green Beans, Goat Cheese Grits, and Roasted Garlic

Sometimes over the weekend we make larger, more involved meals.

















Thanks for being patient while John and I learn about different levels of exposure on our camera's manual setting.


















We bought a big package of steaks at Costco last month, cut them up, and froze them. Last night we defrosted these two to be the main event in tonight's dinner.

The green beans came from Costco, too, in a GIANT two pack (like everything there, I guess). We just steamed them on a stove top.

At the regular grocery store we bought two five-packs of garlic (way cheap!) and I roasted five of them in the oven. I think I'll remember this semester as the time I finally figured out how to roast garlic. Not that it's hard, but it was one of those things I always put off trying. Until now. I just squish them a little once they're done, and spread them on whatever I'm eating.

In case you're wondering, roasted garlic goes really well with grits. The grits John and I have are from a farm in Tennessee, part of the agro-tourism business, and they're stone ground. I got the idea to add goat cheese to them from Pioneer Woman's recipe for polenta, only I got away with adding only about 1 tbs. butter, and probably a 1/4 cup goat cheese (maybe a 1/3 cup, I just scooped it out of the package). I normally make grits with a lot more fat, but these were really flavorful with the goat cheese. Dinner like this always makes us feel like we're being luxurious, and we don't even have to go out.















Here's the recipe for the grits:

1 cup stone-ground grits.
2 cups water
1 cup skim milk
1 tbs butter
1/3 cup goat cheese (use more or less to taste)

- Bring the milk and water to a boil in a sauce pan.
- Meanwhile, if you really use stone ground grits, soak them for a few minutes in water to remove the bran.
- Once the liquids are boiling, add the grits, and stir.
- Reduce heat to a slight simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes (or until water is absorbed), stirring frequently.
- Stir grits, add in 1 tbs butter, and add in goat cheese. Continue to stir until butter and cheese are melted.

Steaks:
The steaks we just seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Then we cooked them about 6-7 minutes per side, using the broiler in our oven.
Roasted garlic:

Heat oven to 400 F.
Cut the tops off the garlic so that the top of each clove is somewhat exposed.
Place in a pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cover with foil and roast for 30-35 minutes.
Spread on whatever your heart desires.

2 comments:

  1. Yep. It's hard for things to go wrong when they're simple and good to begin with.

    ReplyDelete