11.16.2009

Hugs and Quiches

Kira's right - "Real men eat quiche."

John was skeptical about this recipe, but he loved it and has been asking me to make it again for the night when he gets back from Mexico next week.

I'm glad we made this on the weekend, as it involves just enough steps to take longer than I usually want to spend cooking on a school night.

















It was really good, and we didn't even use feta (which usually makes everything betta'). Since the pie crust came in a 2 pack, I'll probably make it again soon.

Spinach, Feta (oops), Ham, and Mushroom Quiche,
from Food alla Puttanesca.


Ingredients
1 frozen pie crust
1 thick slice of ham, diced
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups chopped spinach
1 cup chopped mushrooms
2 eggs
3 egg whites
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°.

Heat oil over medium to medium high heat. Add onion, saute 2-3 minutes until tender. Add mushrooms & spinach. Saute 4-5 minutes until spinach is soft. Add ham to the pan and stir to combine well.

In a bowl beat eggs, egg whites, and half & half. Season with salt & pepper. Add in veggie/ham mixture and stir to combine. Add feta, stir to combine, and pour into pie shell.

Bake 40-45 minutes or until completely set, and slightly golden & crispy on top.


Crappy Lease Situation Update: John and I have cranked things up a notch and filed an application for a hearing, which will be December 9. We're focusing on the dog issue, since it's the aspect of our apartment woes that actually makes it an unsafe place to live. At the very least, they could order him to do something about the dog, and enforce it. They could also let us out of our lease. Wish us luck! I'll let you know what happens.

2 comments:

  1. You didn't use the feta? But, why? You're correct. "Feta does make it "beta." It's hard for me to believe that something called for the miracle cheese and you didn't even need it!

    This must be a magic quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please let me clarify - I only omitted the feta because I forgot to buy it. And since the quiche was basically ready to bake by the time I realized I didn't have it, I just left it out. Instead, I added 1/4 cup sour cream, to give it a little tanginess, and it worked out well. I love sour cream in anything with eggs - it makes them so creamy!

    ReplyDelete