11.29.2009

Pumpkin Scones
















Remember when I asked for suggestions for my left-over pumpkin puree? I found a scone recipe to fill the need.


















This was my second attempt at scones, and I think I'm getting the hang of the shape, if I do say so myself. I thought the dough was going to be too dry to come together, but right before I reached for the extra tbs of cream or milk, it started to take shape.



















This is the 7th post in my series of holiday recipes. I still want to make gingerbread and iced sugar cookies, so there are at least 2 more, though I may wait until we're in Fort Wayne over Christmas to make those. Once I've exhausted the holiday baking topic I'll make sure to post links to all the entries in the same place. If you're interested (and I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat), I've started labeling them as such for your convenience.

Side note: I'm now looking for a good bread pudding recipe. It need not be holiday specific, though I associate bread pudding with Christmas. If you have one, please send it my way (I'm looking at you, Uncle Kim).

These scones are pretty tasty. The pumpkin changed the texture just a little to make them a little less bready in the center. I'm excited to keep trying scone recipes!

















Pumpkin Scones

from Morning Coffee and Afternoon Tea

2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup pumpkin (if canned, be sure there are no spices or sugar added)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix together flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and cut into flour. Mixture should look like coarse crumbs. In a separate bowl mix together the pumpkin, buttermilk and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and mix until the dough comes together (don't over mix).

Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead gently 3-4 times, and then shape/pat dough into a circle about 1 1/2 inches thick. Slice in half, and then cut each half into 3 equal pie-shaped wedges. Brush with egg glaze (1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp milk), and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar.*

Bake on a cookie sheet for at 375° F for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Makes 6 scones.

*Oops, I forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment